Home » Other » General » Objects or Relational Databases, the future?
Objects or Relational Databases, the future? [message #366169] Thu, 28 December 2000 03:55 Go to next message
Ian Lister
Hi and a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

If possible I would like to pick your considerable collective brain power, I know you are all very busy people but a couple of minutes of your time would be appreciated and I feel that this is an area of discussion that would benefit all of us.

Oracle is obviously striving to incorporate as many "object" features into its database as possible, especially the integration with Java and to a lesser extent the ability to call C DLL’s via external procedures.

On the back of these (and other) features Oracle lays the claim that its database is Object-Relational, a claim which is debatable. For example Oracle does not support true OO inheritance (Generalisation, Association or aggregation).

What I want to do is to explore the whole Object-Relational issue as I feel that it would benefit us all, and to do this I thought it might be good a good idea to get the opinions of the people who actually do the work...you lot.

I feel that the main issue here for all of us to come to terms with is that with the closer integration of Java and despite Oracles claims to support PL/SQL ad-infinitum it is quite possible that in a few of years PL/SQL could be pushed off into the back waters of the programming world, as we all fumble about coming to terms with objects. Will by then the Oracle Relational Database be the Oracle Object Database, or will the current hybrid/extended object relational models carry on extending?

What do you think, will Object Technologies replace the Relational Database as we know it?

If people want to get involved in this then I will send a copy of the collated results, from this as well as other discussion groups, to the people who enter the discussion.

Cheers

Ian Lister
Re: Objects or Relational Databases, the future? [message #366171 is a reply to message #366169] Thu, 28 December 2000 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shripad.Patil
Yes I need to get involved in this discussion Please.
Re: Objects or Relational Databases, the future? [message #366174 is a reply to message #366171] Thu, 28 December 2000 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Lister
Great, what I am looking for are comments on the issues at hand, what are your opinions or thoughts on what is happening at the moment
Re: Objects or Relational Databases, the future? [message #366175 is a reply to message #366169] Sun, 31 December 2000 22:34 Go to previous message
Julia
Yes, I'm interested.
Previous Topic: rdbms
Next Topic: Re: V$session
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 21:21:44 CDT 2024