Home » Other » General » Problems creating an Oracle data model from SQL Server in Visio (merged)
Problems creating an Oracle data model from SQL Server in Visio (merged) [message #378279] Mon, 29 December 2008 14:04 Go to next message
paulh4
We have a SQL Server 2005 database containing about 250 tables. We will also be releasing our product in Oracle, so I have been trying to use Visio to create the data model in Oracle (I am using Microsoft Office Visio for Enterprise Architects). If I open my SQL Server model with the Oracle Server driver set as the Visio default, everything looks pretty good, except that there are several data types that do not map the way that I want them to. For example, varchar(max) in SQL converts to VARCHAR2(32000) and it needs to convert to CLOB. Bigint, int, smallint, and tinyint all convert to NUMBER(38,0) and I need the precision to be 19, 10, 6, and 3 respectively. Updating the fields directly in the model is not realistic due to the large number of tables and columns. I would like to continue to maintain only the SQL diagram and be able to create the schema for both SQL and Oracle from it. Does anybody know if there is a way to set the mapping of the data types between drivers in Visio so it will convert properly when the default driver is changed?
Re: Problems creating an Oracle data model from SQL Server in Visio (merged) [message #378309 is a reply to message #378279] Mon, 29 December 2008 21:22 Go to previous message
rleishman
I don't think it can be done in Visio, but I believe it can be in ERwin.

I think Visio for Enterprise Architects contains a Forward Engineer option. You might try generating the SQL Server DDL statements and then use a text editor to search/replace. You can then create the tables in an Oracle Database and Reverse Engineer into Visio.

Ross Leishman
Previous Topic: Partition of database storage in more than one drive
Next Topic: license prices
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:49:58 CDT 2024