Home » Other » Community Hangout » San Diego
San Diego [message #640064] Tue, 21 July 2015 12:11 Go to next message
John Watson
I have to spend the second two weeks of August in San Diego. Most of the time I'll be in a hotel or an office, but I may have a weekend with nothing to do. About all I know of California is that everyone wants to be there. And that it is where the Dead and the Airplane came from. Unfortunately, I see that San Diego is a long way from Haight-Ashbury.

Does anyone know that part of the world? Touristy things that are OK to do by yourself? I can hire a car if necessary.

California, man! Does it really have 365 cloudless days a year? Is it really as close to heaven as I am ever likely to get?? Smile
Re: San Diego [message #640068 is a reply to message #640064] Tue, 21 July 2015 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/196511/

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&q=san+diego+top+ten+tourist+attractions

[Updated on: Tue, 21 July 2015 13:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: San Diego [message #640144 is a reply to message #640068] Thu, 23 July 2015 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
THanks for this - the Balboa Park has to be a good way to spend a day. And a harbour tour. That should keep me busy Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 23 July 2015 00:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: San Diego [message #640152 is a reply to message #640144] Thu, 23 July 2015 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
San Diego is known for having the mildest weather in Southern California. Although I don't live very far away, I haven't been there recently. I remember enjoying the San Diego Zoo when I was a kid.
Re: San Diego [message #641485 is a reply to message #640152] Sun, 16 August 2015 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Turned out that I'm not in San Diego - I'm in Del Mar. So all my plans (and the advice on which they were based) came to nothing.

I have had a whole day as a tourist. A work colleague, to whom I am extremely grateful, took me around a few places, in particular the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park where I saw scenery the like of which no-one who has not been there would believe. The video here
http://www.desertusa.com/anza_borrego/du-abpbobad.html
gives an idea, though it has things you don't need that weren't there today (such as other people and a sound track). We didn't see any mountain lions, rattle snakes, or hummingbirds. But I did see a coyote and various little critters, so I'm happy eith that. Then we drove back to Del Mar via a few places, including the coast road through Solana Beach: lots of surfers and so on. Amazing how one can go from the desert over the mountains to the sea in an hour or two. Had a pretty good apple pie and ice cream in Julian on the way.

I now understand why everyone wants to live in California.
Re: San Diego [message #641554 is a reply to message #641485] Mon, 17 August 2015 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
During the winter in SoCal you can go skiing or snow boarding in the morning & go surfing in the afternoon.
If you were really hard code you could ride your bicycle down the mountain & out to the coast since it is mostly down hill.
I like being able to decide when I want to go visit the snow as opposed having Mother Nature decide when I have to deal with it.
Re: San Diego [message #641571 is a reply to message #641485] Tue, 18 August 2015 05:28 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
I was last in Del Mar in 1988 or 1989 for some Landtrack training. There is a race track there and plenty of horse stables and some trails that you can ride on. While horseback riding, I remember seeing hot air balloons overhead, but didn't try that. There is, of course, the beach too.
Previous Topic: How to learn English better?
Next Topic: Does age really matter in technical forums?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:56:33 CDT 2024