Home » Other » General » License needed?
License needed? [message #182087] Wed, 12 July 2006 23:24 Go to next message
irshad
For referencing old data, we maintain the old version of our Materials Management System on Oracle 7.3.4, the new redesigned version being on SAP platform.

Now, the problem is that we need to install oracle client on new XP machines but our Windows Client CD for Oracle 7.3.4 is untraceable. As we already have licensed Oracle, can we install oracle client from the CD available at other locations of our company? Or, can we download Oracle 9.2i client from oracle.com for production use with our existing licensed Oracle 7.3.4?

Please suggest what can we do. The freely available Oracle XE Client or instant client refuse to connect to Oracle 7.3.4 giving the message "Connections to this server version are no longer supported".
Re: License needed? [message #182138 is a reply to message #182087] Thu, 13 July 2006 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Quote:

can we install oracle client from the CD available at other locations of our company?

Yes, you can. A license is the "right to use" the software, not the media (CD).
Re: License needed? [message #182155 is a reply to message #182138] Thu, 13 July 2006 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
irshad
Thanks Frank.
I came to right place for clarification!
Thanks again!
Re: License needed? [message #182219 is a reply to message #182087] Thu, 13 July 2006 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Try installing Oracle 8 Client on your XP box, it should be able to access your Oracle 7 database without any problems.

David
Re: License needed? [message #182428 is a reply to message #182219] Fri, 14 July 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
irshad
Hi David!
Thanks for your reply.
Quote:

Try installing Oracle 8 Client on your XP box, it should be able to access your Oracle 7 database without any problems

You are correct! We have tested the connectivity with higher version - 9i Client.

But from where can I get Oracle8 (or 9i) Client? I visited Oracle Software Downloads link http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/index.html but there is no mention of Oracle 8 there. And what about license?

9i is available for download, but Oracle requires us to obtain license if we want it for production use. What if I have a licensed Oracle of lower version already installed? Will I still need separate license? Oracle website is silent on this issue.

Here is what one of my colleagues has to say(!):

"When Oracle is no longer supporting its version 7, it means it has become free to use, so we can download/copy it freely".

(why? Because PC manufacturers are offering FREE DOS, as Microsoft no longer supports DOS!)

(Irshad)
Re: License needed? [message #182433 is a reply to message #182428] Fri, 14 July 2006 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Quote:

When Oracle is no longer supporting its version 7, it means it has become free to use, so we can download/copy it freely

Wow, this is most definitely NOT true!

As I understand the client is free as long as you use it to connect to properly licensed server software. However, to confirm, discuss it with your sales rep.
Re: License needed? [message #182434 is a reply to message #182433] Fri, 14 July 2006 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:

When Oracle is no longer supporting its version 7, it means it has become free to use, so we can download/copy it freely
Huh, I've never heard that any of Oracle versions became abandonware Smile
Re: License needed? [message #182435 is a reply to message #182434] Fri, 14 July 2006 15:59 Go to previous message
irshad
Hi Littlefoot!

Ha Ha! Abandonware! nice comment!

I just quoted what my colleague said! I knew it is not correct.

And hi Frank! Again working late? You seem to be monitoring the postings online, quick reply!

Thanks guys, I will contact tomorrow (or today?) with some Oracle info. (not abandonware, but freeware).
Previous Topic: Oracle vs MsSQL
Next Topic: Need Book
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:41:35 CDT 2024