Home » Other » General » Oracle vs MsSQL
Oracle vs MsSQL [message #182210] Thu, 13 July 2006 14:13 Go to next message
Mongr1l
Hello. First, if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, please forgive me as I'm new.

I'm an MS SQL Developer of 12 years. I have been asked by my boss the merits to switching to Oracle. It pains me to say that I know absolutely nothing about Oracle, so I can not make an argument either way.

Could anyone offer some insight, please?

Thanks in advance.

-mongril
Re: Oracle vs MsSQL [message #182214 is a reply to message #182210] Thu, 13 July 2006 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Most of us have the same problem - we know Oracle inside-out, but don't know anything about MySQL.

My personal opinion is that MySQL is OK for small to medium sized web sites, but will you use it to store a company's financial records?

Press releases that they've finally added views in MySQL 5.0 doesn't help either - it creates the impression that MySQL is at least 20 to 25 years behind Oracle.

Oh yes, and didn't Oracle buy InnoDB and BDB sometime last year?

Like I've said, I may be biased, but I would much rather list Oracle on my CV than MySQL.

Best of luck with your choice.
icon12.gif  Re: Oracle vs MsSQL [message #182224 is a reply to message #182214] Thu, 13 July 2006 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mongr1l
Not MySQL... MS SQL.

But good point, though.

- mongril
Re: Oracle vs MsSQL [message #182239 is a reply to message #182224] Thu, 13 July 2006 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
MS SQL = SQL Server ?

My approach is not that scientific, and I am by no means an expert in MS SQL, but here's what I'd do:

Have you already selected a hardware platform and operating system? If so, the choice for me is simple:
- Windoze: MS
- Unix: Oracle
- Mainframe: DB2

I have used Oracle before on both Unix and Windoze (server that is, not client) and it is always bliss on Unix, and nightmare on Windoze. That's personal opinion though.

If you are selecting the RDBMS before OS, then the same process works in reverse. That doesn't help you select an RDBMS though.

The differentiating features I can think of:
- Oracle is more labour intensive and requires a full-time skilled DBA with detailed knowledge of your DB setup.
- MS is cheaper (I think).
- Contract labour is plentiful for both.
- Final application build quality and performance is comparable.
- Oracle comes with some fancy add-ins that most sites will never use, but if you do then they're great.
- Oracle is arguably more scalable at the high-end.

Also, if you are building a data warehouse, then Sybase IQ and RedBrick are worth a close look. They should not be ruled out simply on the basis of relative obscurity.

Ross Leishman
Re: Oracle vs MsSQL [message #182257 is a reply to message #182239] Fri, 14 July 2006 00:48 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Oops, sorry. I must stop answering questions so late at night!
Previous Topic: Paper report to web
Next Topic: License needed?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:28:07 CDT 2024