Home » Other » General » Opinions on this article?
Opinions on this article? [message #210296] Wed, 20 December 2006 03:42 Go to next message
grantpt27
http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/stored-procedures-are-evil.html

Just read this and am sceptical. Anyone got any comments?
Re: Opinions on this article? [message #210306 is a reply to message #210296] Wed, 20 December 2006 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Stored procedures in Oracle are not the same as SPs in other databases.
As you can see, he talks about SPs as a replacement for SQL. That is NOT how Oracle SPs are used in general.

But, frankly, I think he doesn't really know what he is talking about if he says that it mangles the 3-tier principle.
His second argument, about how SPs form a maintenance problem is BS too, as is his third argument.
Why would it take more time to test referential integrity if you have an SP compared to when you don't use them???

Again, all he says does simply NOT relate to Oracles stored procedures. The mere thought that SPs would not scale proves that.
Re: Opinions on this article? [message #210405 is a reply to message #210306] Wed, 20 December 2006 12:04 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Methinks, he is talking about MySQL.
At some point the author says (or that is what i understood) it easier to maintain Business Logic in application and i do not agree with that. I cannot speak for MySQL. But generally databases (specifcally oracle) are designed to do the computing/processing in backend with builtin functions/procedures.
Previous Topic: applications in pl/sql (Merged cross-posts)
Next Topic: Oracle 8.0.x connectivity to 9i server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:43:17 CDT 2024