Home » Other » General » which is better oracle developer or dba??
which is better oracle developer or dba?? [message #213914] Fri, 12 January 2007 14:22 Go to next message
the_dreamz
i'm in the final year of MCA and i'm not so bad in programming.some friends of mine told me to do oracle developer and some other told me to go for DBA.i'm confused???
please help me and tell me which one is better and whose scope is more either dba or a developer??
also which one'll helpful in getting a good job easily?
Re: which is better oracle developer or dba?? [message #213957 is a reply to message #213914] Sat, 13 January 2007 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,
first go for developer and then looking for dba.

regards
Taj
Re: which is better oracle developer or dba?? [message #213961 is a reply to message #213914] Sat, 13 January 2007 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Every job is different, but I can tell you what I have seen.

- DBAs tend to get paid more, but they earn it with after-hours support. After-hours support is almost unavoidable for a DBA, but affects a small percentage of programming jobs, and rarely to the same extent.

- There is a large range of developer jobs requiring a range of ability levels. The range is smaller for DBAs because there are not as many jobs, so the required skill level is higher. There are highly skilled people in both jobs, but many people that make it as programmers would not make it as DBAs, because nobody wants a general run-of-the-mill entry-level DBA.

- The are some "Development DBA" jobs, where the DBA writes some application SQL and PL/SQL, usually for a non-oracle front end. These jobs are rare, usually the DBA is all about managing and monitoring the database with very little application work, or none at all. Some people find this unrewarding - it is a thankless task.

- Even though DBA is a job requiring a high skill level, this high level is required for only some of the duties. A lot of DBAs get stuck with some dull, repetitive, unchallenging tasks whilst they are waiting for the next emergency.

It might sound like I'm down on DBAs. I'm not, I have the utmost respect for them, and lean heavily on them to help solve some tricky problems. But I don't want to be one for some of the reasons above. A DBA would have a different perspective, and would give a heap of reasons not to be a programmer.

I guess the biggest difference is the customer. As a programmer, you get involved with people outside of IT. As a DBA, most of your customers are other IT people. Maybe it comes down to who you prefer dealing with? Some people find it tedious and annoying to deal with luddites and technophobes, they would probably make fine DBAs. Others are the exact opposite.

Ross Leishman

Re: which is better oracle developer or dba?? [message #214119 is a reply to message #213957] Mon, 15 January 2007 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
user52 wrote on Sat, 13 January 2007 07:00
Hi,
first go for developer and then looking for dba.

regards
Taj

Taj, are you saying that a developer is below a DBA in the Oracle hierarchy? Shame on you! I've been a developer for quite some time now and I'm happy with it. A DBA has a different job. Is it more difficult than a developer's job? It is different: if a DBA screws up, more people are likely to be affected. His responsibility is more obvious: keep the database healthy and assure uptime. But I don't think a developer is a "DBA in training".

MHE
Re: which is better oracle developer or dba?? [message #214128 is a reply to message #214119] Mon, 15 January 2007 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

are you saying that a developer is below a DBA in the Oracle hierarchy?
Please don't get any wrong meaning of my post. i was not say like you said.

Shame on you!
Please don't comments like that...

i'm in the final year of MCA and i'm not so bad in programming

see OP post he his good in PROGRAMMING. now he his confused between DEVELOPER OR DBA.
if you developer and you want to switch DBA you easily switch your job.

i never differentiate between DBA or DEVELOPER both job are well and good responsibities.

It is depand on person who think like that ( Developer is below DBA jobs.)

Taj
Re: which is better oracle developer or dba?? [message #214141 is a reply to message #214128] Mon, 15 January 2007 02:09 Go to previous message
Maaher
I guess I should have included the Wink smiley. The way you stated "first x then y" gave me the (apparently wrong) impression that you saw developer as a step towards the final goal: DBA. No sweat, no harm done: I just misread your post. I think you are right though: if the OP is good at programming, why not have a shot at it.

MHE
Previous Topic: How to check oracle installation. ?
Next Topic: verylarge datafile size while importing dump from oracle9i to oracle10gR2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:35:30 CDT 2024