Home » Other » General » Excel Macro to pull Oracle Data
Excel Macro to pull Oracle Data [message #215693] Tue, 23 January 2007 09:40 Go to next message
dan_thorman
Hi all, i didn't know where in the forum this question belonged, so i figured i'd try here first...

I am looking to use Excel to drive a Word template to create a report. As a part of this, half of the data resides in our Oracle database, and the other half requires user input. What i would ideally like to do is to have a macro written so that the user inputs a unique identifier (a primary key in the Oracle table) and then Excel goes out and selects pieces of data based on that identifier and populates specific cells of the spreadsheet. However, after reading up on excel programming, i haven't been able to find any examples of this, or any tutorials of how to do this, despite the fact that i know it is done rather often. I was hoping that one of you could point me in the direction of a good tutorial, so that i could learn how.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Excel Macro to pull Oracle Data [message #215750 is a reply to message #215693] Tue, 23 January 2007 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Search this forum for 'odbc' and see if anything interesting pops up. If not, then google it.

David
Re: Excel Macro to pull Oracle Data [message #215764 is a reply to message #215693] Tue, 23 January 2007 16:40 Go to previous message
dan_thorman
Unfortunately, ODBC is a bit of a wide-ranging topic, so to sift through the google or forum search results to find the specifics of what i was looking for really would do me no good at all.

However, what i did find is that if you perform the actions of "Data --> Import External Data --> New Database Query", connecting to the database, running a query, and pushing the data back to the spreadsheet while recording a Macro, the VBA Code is written for you, and that was a good enough source for me to begin with.
Previous Topic: What is the difference between oracle 9i and 10g
Next Topic: transferring database from ACCESS to ORACLE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:15:22 CDT 2024