Home » Other » General » Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block )
Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block ) [message #231377] Mon, 16 April 2007 18:22 Go to next message
Dipali Vithalani
Hi dear friends,
Today, after 5 hours, i have to give a seminar in our company about the Oracle 10g. Today i will cover Databloks. In this i wish to cover it's format, row chaining and migration, PCTFREE - PCTUSED : how they work and their cases in different kind of applications..

Friends, I want to present the seminar at the best...

Should i make any changes in seminar content..?
Is there any new or extra ordinary point about data blocks with any one of you..?
Any suggetions..?
And ya, if possible please give me the different behavior of PCTFREE - PCTUSED in various kind of applications ( so that i can approve my content..)
I am waiting..

Thank You..

(Note : by mistak, i have put the same topic in certification's category.. Sorry for that.. )
Re: Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block ) [message #231381 is a reply to message #231377] Mon, 16 April 2007 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harshad.gohil
Hi Dipali,

If you present some diagrams related to block will be give more clear pictures and good presentation.

Use this link for the same

http://www.lc.leidenuniv.nl/awcourse/oracle/server.920/a96521/schema.htm

And just go through one of very good forum for the same

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/39063/0/

Add part of freelists and freegroups.

Regards,
Harsh
Re: Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block ) [message #231382 is a reply to message #231381] Mon, 16 April 2007 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dipali Vithalani
hi harsh,
That's what i am looking for last half an hour : Different cases of pctfree and pctused.. i know that thing's funda, but i needed documented one.. Thanks..
Now i am seaching for the following in heavy books and sites..
1) When we specify a standard blocksize = say x than we cannot set nonstandard block size DB_xk_cache_size . Internal oracle reson behind this rule..
2)suggested value of block size parameter with reason, for different kind of application.. for eg.. for warehousing application, large block size ( like 8kb or 16kb) and for oltp, small datablock size is prefered.
I have read such things many times but i am looking for documented one on book or site for reference..

Any other such things, points, senarios or case studies about data block...?

Thanks for that site address.. Smile

Regards..
Re: Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block ) [message #231383 is a reply to message #231382] Mon, 16 April 2007 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harshad.gohil
Hi Dipali,

1) When we specify a standard blocksize = say x than we cannot set nonstandard block size DB_xk_cache_size . Internal oracle reson behind this rule.....

It's not like that .... You have gone to some different parts
Oracle 9i supports tablespaces with different block sizes. The DB_BLOCK_SIZE is used to specify the standard block size which is used for the SYSTEM and TEMPORARY tablespaces. All subsequent tablespaces will also be assigned this block size unless specified otherwise.

A number of rules apply to the use of variable block sizes:

* All partitions of a partitioned object must reside in tablespaces with the same block size.
* All temporary tablespaces must be of the standard block size.
* Index Organized Table Overflow and out-of-line LOB segments can be stored in a tablespace with a different block size that that of the base table.

For your second part

This allows large tables and indexes to have a larger block size than smaller objects. This is especially useful in hybrid databases where DSS transactions benefit from large block sizes, whilst OLTP operations are best suited to smaller block sizes. It also means that tablespaces can be transported between databases with differing block sizes. The database is created with a standard block size and up to 5 none-standard block sizes.

As on DSS is used not much used for heavvy transaction it means no frequent updates as such.... at the other hand on OLTP env there is frequent updates, so high PCT.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Harsh
Re: Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block ) [message #231384 is a reply to message #231383] Mon, 16 April 2007 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dipali Vithalani
Ya, it's helping me a lot...
Re: Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block ) [message #231386 is a reply to message #231383] Mon, 16 April 2007 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dipali Vithalani
hi harsh,
what is your email id? As, i can't mail you from this forum..
Well,

Smile Belated Happy Birthday Smile

With your help, i have prepare quite imformative presentation. If Possible i will put it on this forum so that our other friends can use it...

Thanks, bye n take care..

Regards
Re: Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block ) [message #231388 is a reply to message #231386] Mon, 16 April 2007 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harshad.gohil
Hi Dipali,

Thanks for your wishes.

Regards,
Harsh

[Updated on: Mon, 16 April 2007 22:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block ) [message #231389 is a reply to message #231377] Mon, 16 April 2007 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
PCTFREE & PCTUSED are obsoleted when using LMT.
Re: Need your kind suggesions ( regarding Data block ) [message #231551 is a reply to message #231389] Tue, 17 April 2007 08:12 Go to previous message
rleishman
Is that right? I may have my terminology all twisted, but I thought Locally Managed Tablespaces eliminated the need for the STORAGE clause, not PCTFREE / PCTUSED / INITRANS / MAXTRANS.

Isn't it ASSM that replaces PCTUSED? But even then it doesn't replace PCTFREE - or does it?

Ross Leishman
Previous Topic: Oracle AIM Templates
Next Topic: Help me plzzz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:53:27 CDT 2024