Home » Other » General » Oracle Change Control.. Moving code from Test to Production
Oracle Change Control.. Moving code from Test to Production [message #244635] Wed, 13 June 2007 10:10 Go to next message
nimbus396

I would like to know what other people are doing before moving code from test to production. Where I work, we do not have formal code reviews and I don't trust the contractors. My thoughts on this are to ask for before picture's and after picture's of the database performance and corresponding explain and/or TKProf files.

I would like to know what other people are doing around this issue where code reviews are not possible.

TIA

Re: Oracle Change Control.. Moving code from Test to Production [message #244688 is a reply to message #244635] Wed, 13 June 2007 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
nimbus396 wrote on Wed, 13 June 2007 17:10
and I don't trust the contractors.
<snip>
I would like to know what other people are doing around this issue where code reviews are not possible.

Find out why you don't trust your contractors! If they really are not trustworthy, get rid of them (that's why you have contractors and not employees!!)
Re: Oracle Change Control.. Moving code from Test to Production [message #244768 is a reply to message #244635] Thu, 14 June 2007 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
I'm a contractor. Would you trust my reply here?

Just a couple of questions:
- Does everyone has the rights to change the production environment?
- Who validates the test environment?
- You only talk about performance. Do you only make changes to improve performance? Can you really compare test and production when it comes to performance?

MHE
Re: Oracle Change Control.. Moving code from Test to Production [message #245216 is a reply to message #244635] Fri, 15 June 2007 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nimbus396

Perhaps, trust is not the appropriate word to use. Sorry for that. The word trust in this instance is used in the context of ,"I have some doubt about the robustness of the code", which, looking back in retrospect doesn't apply only to contractors.

The real question I'm asking is... "What steps can I take to ensure that code moving to production is not going to impact performance of the production systems."

In most cases, my test environments are identical to my production environments.

At this point, I am only worried about negative impact on performance.
Re: Oracle Change Control.. Moving code from Test to Production [message #245557 is a reply to message #245216] Mon, 18 June 2007 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Test it in your pre-production (= test-)environment, just like you test the rest of the functionality.
Re: Oracle Change Control.. Moving code from Test to Production [message #245752 is a reply to message #245557] Mon, 18 June 2007 13:03 Go to previous message
andrew again
Correct - if you want to verify the performance impact - you need to do stress testing on an equivalent environment (similar data, load, box capacity etc). Of course some common sense determines what code needs the closest look (the expensive queries or the blocking DML etc).
Previous Topic: new to oracle
Next Topic: exp & imp in dos box (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:28:52 CDT 2024