Home » Other » General » my question form oracle administrators
my question form oracle administrators [message #261074] Tue, 21 August 2007 14:12 Go to next message
khosravi
hello

my question form oracle administrators is:

i interested that become an oracle database administrator
i am studing oracle administratory about 2 years

my study and excercise include:

. building and managing oracle objects such as tables,partitioned tables,indexes,clusters,...
. jobs and schedules
. about tablespaces and managing them
. manging rdo logs and archived log
. managing views, sequences, Synonyms
. export, import
. backup and recovery(rman) and its details
. distributed databases and distributed transactions
. replication and its details
. performance tuning
. oracle sql and pl/sql (procedures
,functions,triggers,cursors,exceptions,sql commands,...)
. and i intend study Data Warehousing

i don't study RAC and ASM (because they nead special hardware) that i think they are important

but i don't have any oracle project

When i verify employment advertisement for oracle DBA
all of them demand database administrators who has many
years experience in DBA

despite that i have no experience in DBA how i can request for DBA job? what is your
suggestion for me?

do you think my study is adequate efficient for begin?

thanks
Re: my question form oracle administrators [message #261084 is a reply to message #261074] Tue, 21 August 2007 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> what is your suggestion for me?
become an Oracle application developer/programmer.

>do you think my study is adequate efficient for begin?
no
Re: my question form oracle administrators [message #261088 is a reply to message #261074] Tue, 21 August 2007 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
I was lucky enough way back to work for a small company that I was the default DBA since there were no other It people. The databases crashed many many times and I learned how to be a DBA by fixing it all the time. I got good at knowing what to look for and how to fix things from all the different causes of the crashes.
In my experience and from others I have worked with, you can read all the books you want, take all the tests you want, but until you actually recover a database in practice, you would be hard pressed to find employment as a DBA.
Like anacedent said, start as a developer and work your way to DBA, but beware of what you wish for.
Download Oracle 10g or now 11g and practice on it by doing bad things Wink and see how good you are at fixing the database.
Re: my question form oracle administrators [message #261130 is a reply to message #261088] Tue, 21 August 2007 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
You should not be responding to "normal" DBA roles, you are wasting your time and that of the company.

Some companies hire junior or trainee DBAs. The job requires a special type of person - not your every-day programmer - so many firms will find the right TYPE of person and then train them into the role with an experienced DBA or team of DBAs.

Such a company would explicitly advertise for such a role, or more likely select a programmer from within. If you don't see any of the aforementioned advertisements, interview as a progammer and ask if they would consider a transition to trainee DBA after 12 months.

Ross Leishman
Re: my question form oracle administrators [message #262597 is a reply to message #261130] Mon, 27 August 2007 16:18 Go to previous message
andrew again
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/591/experience-lags-adoption-why-oracle-and-sql-dbas-probably-want-to-learn-mysql
http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora9i/becomeDBA03.shtml
Previous Topic: I need list of all cities in the USA (renamed by LF)
Next Topic: drawing organizational charts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:16:21 CDT 2024