Home » Other » General » Versions/licenses - Choosing an Oracle Database
Versions/licenses - Choosing an Oracle Database [message #289922] Wed, 26 December 2007 11:00 Go to next message
Kryptos
Hi everyone.

I am absolutely newbie. I decided to learn about Databases and try Oracle as first choice. I use Linux Fedora 8 and I don`t have a lot of RAM in my laptop. I am confused and I don`t know which version of Oracle should I download. My goal it`s to study and test, I don`t want to buy. I heard about Oracle licenses but don`t understand them very well, what can`t I do without licenses/purchases and what can I do freely? What is the most complete, the newest, and best to study Oracle Database version?
I really need advices and clues. Please indicate what would be your choice and why, considering that you would be an DBA someday.

Thanks in Advance.
Kind Regards.
Re: Versions/licenses - Choosing an Oracle Database [message #289924 is a reply to message #289922] Wed, 26 December 2007 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
You don't need to buy oracle for study purposes,just go to oracle site and download the version compaitable with your OS and Configuration.

Start Here
Documentation
Re: Versions/licenses - Choosing an Oracle Database [message #289926 is a reply to message #289922] Wed, 26 December 2007 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle Software Downloads

Regards
Michel
Re: Versions/licenses - Choosing an Oracle Database [message #289931 is a reply to message #289926] Wed, 26 December 2007 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As you are a newbie, you might be interested in Oracle 10g Express Edition (XE); this is its download page, and on the upper-right corner you'll see a link to XE's homepage which contains FAQs, Guidelines etc.
Re: Versions/licenses - Choosing an Oracle Database [message #289953 is a reply to message #289922] Wed, 26 December 2007 21:37 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>I am absolutely newbie. I decided to learn about Databases and try Oracle as first choice
In My Opinion (IMO), you made a bad choice.
It is like learning how to drive a car in a Ferrari.
Oracle is a BIG & COMPLEX beast that can easily overwhelm a newbie.
I suggest you (ab)use MYSQL for at least a few months before coming back to Oracle.
If you insist on staying with Oracle, then before doing ANYTHING else
read the whole Concepts Manual found at http://tahiti.oracle.com until you UNDERSTAND the contents.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 December 2007 21:38] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Need oracle database comparison tool for fedora
Next Topic: Function to get GMT time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:58:06 CDT 2024